If you have been searching for the best hair growth supplements, this article is for you. We know how time consuming and frustrating that can be.
We have spent many hours researching and have found an all natural supplement for hair growth that works for both men and women.
You can go directly to the manufacturer's list of Hair Essentials supplement ingredients, or you can scroll down and see a partial listing on our post, along with a brief explanation of what each one does and the way in which they naturally boost hair growth.
You can also learn more about a clinical study regarding the effectiveness of this product. For your convenience, we have provided some reviews to read about what men and women are saying about the results they are getting.
Is a vitamin and a supplement the same thing?
A supplement is usually taken in liquid or pill form, and may contain dietary ingredients such as amino acids, herbs, minerals, or vitamins. For information on vitamin supplements for hair growth, click here to visit our page on vitamins.
This list is in no particular order because there is no single supplement that provides a miracle cure for hair loss. Often there is more than one cause for hair loss, so usually you will need more than one supplement to tackle the issue.
Keep in mind; it is always a good idea to check with your health care provider before starting a vitamin or supplement regimen, especially if you have a medical condition.
- Black pepper fruit (Piper nigrum) – This natural plant extract has the ability to stimulate hair growth. It also helps the body to absorb and use other ingredients. If you buy a supplement that contains several plant extracts, you need to check that black pepper seed is included on the ingredient list.
- MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) – MSM contains high levels of sulphur, which is essential for collagen. It is also an important component of keratin, which again our body needs to grow healthy hair.
Methylsulfonylmethane also reduces inflammation in the body.
- Borage seed oil – This ingredient contains high levels of Omega 6, which is an essential fatty acid that your body needs to produce strong shiny hair. It is also a rich source of GLA (gamma-linolenic acid). This acid helps to reduce inflammation around the hair follicles, which could be slowing down hair growth or stopping it completely.
- Bu Gu Zhi fruit (Psoralea corylifolia) – Bu Gu Zhi helps to improve circulation. As we age our circulation slows, which means less blood reaches the scalp, which ultimately results in slower hair growth and more hair follicle damage. Improving circulation to the scalp is important if you want to restore healthy hair growth. Interestingly this plant extract has been used for centuries in both Indian and Chinese hair growth products.
- Flaxseed oil – Omega 3 is another important fatty acid that your body needs to grow strong hair. Flaxseed contains high levels of Omega 3, but also contains ALA (alpha-linolenic acid). This acid has anti-inflammatory properties, but also helps to inhibit the enzyme that converts testosterone into DHT. This action is known to cause deterioration of the hair follicles, so anything that can be done to inhibit this action helps keep your hair healthy.
- Fo-ti Root (Polygonum multiflorum) – Fo-ti root is another ancient Chinese herbal remedy for hair loss. It is primarily used for its anti-aging properties, and the fact that it improves the blood, which helps the body to function better. Some people use it to prevent grey hairs.
- Han Lian Cao (Eclipta prostrata) – Han Lian Cao is another old Chinese remedy that is also said to slow down the greying process. It is also used in India to promote strong hair growth. Unfortunately, studies have yet to reveal how this supplement works, but it has a long history of being effective, which is why we include it on this list.
- Horsetail leaf (Equisetum spp.) – Silica is known to promote strong hair growth and horsetail leaf is rich in it. This plant is also known for helping the body to assimilate calcium more effectively.
- Milk thistle seed (Silybum marianum) – If you have hair loss it could be due to a hormonal imbalance. Milk thistle helps with hair loss because it has the ability to help your body to eliminate excess hormones.
- Rice bran – This interesting plant by-product contains over 100 different vitamins and minerals. It is a rich source of Vitamin E, which is essential for hair growth.
It also contains amino acids that are needed by your body for keratin production.
- Saw palmetto fruit (Serenoa repens) – Saw palmetto is said to have other benefits, but the main way in which saw palmetto helps with hair regeneration is that it inhibits the enzyme that converts testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT). This process causes hair follicles to distort and shrink, which leads to the growth of weak, fuzzy hair, or worse, stops hair growth altogether.
Taking saw palmetto can inhibit this process, which in turn protects the hair follicles and keeps them producing healthy hair.
- White tea leaf (Camellia sinensis) – White leaf tea contains polyphenols that are very powerful antioxidants. They are very important to the body, especially to the hair follicles. Polyphenols can protect the hair follicles against free radical damage.
Why a diversified approach works best
The best hair growth supplements contain a wide range of herbs, vitamins and minerals. They are designed to tackle all of the most common underlying reasons for hair loss or slow hair growth. This multi-disciplined approach has the best chance of giving you the results you are looking for.
Often hair loss will be due to more than one factor. Therefore, it is important to use a range of natural hair growth boosters to cure the problem. If you take only one supplement, you may ultimately be wasting your money. Taking a hair growth supplement that contains most of or all of the above ingredients can really accelerate your efforts to quickly solve your hair loss problems.
Hands down - our only recommendation
Because Hair Essentials contains a variety of key ingredients, we have given it high marks. In reality, it contains more ingredients than we mentioned above, which is why it gets such good user reviews and proves effective for the vast majority of users.